Friday, August 15, 2008

Shamian Island



What would life be if there wasn't a Starbucks? We will never know because I was able to have a latte this morning. For some reason they didn't have my green ice tea, so I had an iced latte.


A photo of a very New Orleans style Starbucks.


Smile!!! Mike had to take a photo of me.



This is outside Shamian Park. Not something that I would have a statue made. It shows you how often adoptive parents come through here.


Today, we walked around Shamian Island which is where our Hotel is. We are staying at the White Swan. It is a beautiful Hotel. Tomorrow we will be flying out of here to Nanning, Guangxi. This is the province that Savannah is from. I'm going to leave you with information about Shamian Island.

History of Shamian Island
Shamian is 'sand surface', which is not a true island, and it is now connected to the rest of the city by a series of bridges. From the 18th to the mid 19th century, it is the only place where foreign traders were permitted to set up their warehouses and factories. The land has been increased to 27,000 sq meters, 900m from east to west, and 300m from north to south. Shamian Island is the reminder of Guangzhou's colonial history. It became a British and French concession after they won in the Opium Wars, and is covered with decaying colonial buildings, which housed trading offices and residences. The French Catholic church has been restored and stands on the main boulevard. The boulevard itself is a gentle stretch of gardens, trees and birdsong. Today, most of the buildings are used as offices or apartments blocks. While most of Guangzhou is battling along at breakneck pace Shamian is merely ambling. Along the river, the park area is a great place for people watching and tea drinking. Or walk along the wide sidewalks and dine in the open-air under the old trees.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so good to "see" you and Mike there! I cannot wait to see Savannah too!

judysstampinghappyplace said...

How great to see you go step by step toward Savannah. I have the biggest lump in my throat and can hardly wait to see you both with her. Don't forget to journal your feelings every day!
Judy Gerke

Anonymous said...

I found this and liked it and wanted to share it with you...

Adoption

Not flesh of my flesh, nor bone of my bone; but, still miraculously, my own.

Never forget, for a single minute you didn't grow under my heart, but in it.

Music