Friday, August 22, 2008

Adventure to the open market!

Today we had a little adventure to the open market. This is where the chinese people buy and sell their produce, meat and other local goods. They live above their little shop that is below. This is the real deal, not the movies.

Check out this electrical work. This is outside between two little shops. Call OSHA!!! Scott this one's for you from Mike.


See this scooter. Hanna, one of our CCAI guides and Jeff are in there. Mike, Savannah & I are behind them in one taking the photo. Talk about Mr. Toads Wild Ride in the streets of China. Their driving philosophy is "I Go".


This is our view from our scooter. We did not think we would be riding one, just the ones trying to take a photos of the Chinese people riding one. Especially with a baby. Aren't we hypocrites?


Photo of the open market. This is just down one street. We did not walk through the whole thing, due to the germs. We had Savannah with us, so we wanted to be very careful. They are actually cutting live animals after they are choosen.


This is how they sell their dinner. They eat everything including cats, dogs, turtles, beets, snakes. As you can see in the photo there's a rabbit, cat, lemur, and various reptiles in the bowls. It was quite shocking to see what they sold for people to eat.

There was a shop that sold dog and then butchered it right there for you. We were too early to see that one. Praise God!! Mike & I got plenty of stares and smiles. There were two little kids that couldn't stop starring and laughing at us. Mike was definately out of his comfort zone. I thought it was great to see. Definately a reality check.

2 comments:

Meroula said...

I have one word to say... GROSS!

Seriously being Greek and visiting Greece I thought I have seen some uncool looking stuff but this is hands down gross... believe it or not my mother got more disgusted then me.

As gross as it is, I still would have wanted to see closer up pictures of the various animals... if I dare to say, at least the buyers know what they are getting and that it is fresh... I just know I wouldn't go over there house for dinner.

Unknown said...

They eat LEMURS? wow. It surely is a blessing (of sorts) to be able to experience other cultures and see how they live. Riding the scooter wasn't that bad, was it? In Uganda, the word is "tugende" which means, "we go" I learned that one a little late but I still use it here in CA.

Jen, Savanah is sooooo cute! It's wonderful that she smiles so much and so big, and even with TEETH!! Y'all look great together!

Jesi

Music